This physiotherapist can perform the following activities:
|CATEGORY||STATUS||START DATE||END DATE|
As a result of a discipline hearing these are the current terms, conditions and limitations on Mr. Neil Boon’s certificate of registration.
Mr. Boon shall, at his own expense, and for the period of two (2) years, participate in a practice monitoring program, approved by the Registrar, which program shall be overseen by the College, involve the use of a coach, approved by the Registrar, and include up to eight (8) practice monitoring visits by the coach.
Mr. Boon shall, at his own expense and within eighteen (18) months of the completion of the suspension successfully complete a boundaries education course approved by the Registrar, which course shall consist of no more than eight sessions.
Working as a PTA
In the event that Mr. Boon provides physiotherapy services (as a physiotherapy assistant) during the suspension he shall do so under the supervision of another member of the College (“Supervising Physiotherapist”) and shall, prior to providing any physiotherapy services (as a physiotherapist assistant):
Advise the College, in writing, of the name of the Supervising Physiotherapist;
Deliver to the Supervising Physiotherapist a copy of the Reasons for Decision of the Panel in respect of its Findings of Professional Misconduct and its Penalty (Reasons); and
Deliver to the Registrar a letter signed by the Supervising Physiotherapist confirming that s/he has received and reviewed the Reasons.
Mr. Boon shall not supervise physiotherapy students or physiotherapy assistant students until he has completed the practice monitoring program
* All registered physiotherapists have a set of minimum terms, conditions and limitations on their certificates of registration to ensure that they are legally able to work in Canada; that they have enough practice hours to maintain their clinical skills: and that require them to be tested periodically to ensure they understand the rules that govern practice.
CPO and Neil Boon (2015 0094)
On October 20, 2015 the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee referred a matter involving Neil Boon to the Discipline Committee for a hearing. The dates for the hearing were:
June 7, 8, 2016, and
October 6, 7, 17, 18, 2016
April 20, 2017
Decision on Finding, Penalty and Costs: Were Appealed by the Member
Matter was heard on: May 29, 2018
Decision of the Discipline Committee was Upheld: Decision available on Canlii: http://canlii.ca/t/h5rst
Overview of the Allegations
That in April 2015 Mr. Boon touched a patient in a sexual manner. More specifically that Mr. Boon
* placed, rubbed or otherwise touched his hand on the patient's thigh and inner thigh
* inappropriately leaned his body or otherwise touched his body against the patient
* grabbed, squeezed or otherwise touched the patient's breast
* placed the patient's foot against or on his crotch and/or thigh, and
* rubbed the patient's back
At the conclusion of the hearing the panel found that Mr. Boon engaged in acts of professional misconduct within the meaning of:
paragraph 1 (Failing to maintain the standards of practice of the profession),
paragraph 7 (Performing a professional service for which consent is required by law without such consent),
paragraph 18 (Engaging in conduct or performing an act relevant to the practice of the profession that, having regard to all the circumstances, would reasonably be regarded by members as disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional) and
paragraph 19 ( Conduct unbecoming a physiotherapist) as defined by section 1 of the College’s Professional Misconduct Regulation, being Ontario Regulation 388/08 made under the Physiotherapy Act, 1991.
The Panel was not satisfied that the touching was of a sexual nature as that term is defined by subsections 1(3) and (4) of the Health Professions Procedural Code of the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991.
At the conclusion of the hearing, the panel ordered the following:
1. A suspension of three months.
2. A reprimand (delivered on Febriary 11, 2019)
3. A term, condition and limitation requiring practice monitoring for a period of two years
4. A term, condition and limitation requiring completion of a boundaries education course
5. A term, condition and limitation regarding working as a physiotherapist assistant while suspended
6. Restrictions on the supervision of physiotherapy students and physiotherapy assistant students while involved in practice monitoring
7. Costs in the amount of $30 000
Decisions of the Discipline Committee and the Divisional Court are Available on Canlii - www.canlii.org
|START DATE||END DATE||CLINIC NAME||ADDRESS||PHONE||USES SUPPORT PERSONNEL|
|Central Health Care||203-806 Gordon St.
Guelph, Ontario N1G 1Y7
|+1 (519) 823-1450||No|
|11/20/2014||8/2/2018||Central Health Care||203-806 Gordon St.
Guelph, Ontario N1G 1Y7
|+1 (519) 823-1450|